Thursday, June 27, 2013

From Dr. Dre to Paula Deen and the N-Word In Between


I like thousands of other people find Paula Deen’s words deplorable.  One would think that someone who has made a living much less an empire on the culinary skills created by African-American’s would be at least slightly socially conscious when it comes to the words that come out of their mouth.  However, the impact of her need I say social faux pas is much less impactful to me for several reasons than Dr. Dre. 

First, I never have not nor do I plan on visiting her restaurant.  Not because I don’t care for the food, but because I am a vegetarian.  And the one thing I do know is southern cuisine is not built for those of us who find delectable delight in tofu and vegetables.  There is something unappealing to me about items drizzled in bacon.

Secondly and probably more important to me is the line that has been a continuous part of the Paula Deen culinary experience since her sudden celebrity status.  I never understood nor appreciated the patience people show to stand in lines sometimes for hours to spend their money.  Call me impatient, but if I have to wait longer than 45 minutes to eat at a restaurant then it is time for Plan B. 

That being said the actions of Dr. Dre are far more impactful to me and I find much more egregious simply for their social impact.  For those who are reading this and unaware Dr. Dre recently gifted the University of Southern California $35,000,000.00. 

My issue is this Dre made millions on the backs of young African-American and Hispanic kids who purchased his records long before it was fashionable for young suburban white kids to own hip hop records.  It was those same kids who espoused to live the often times fictions gangster life that is talked about in Dre’s work.  Furthermore, it those very same kids that when they can’t get into USC (19% African-American and Hispanic enrollment) or any other SC for that matter they find themselves at the doors of HBCU’s or other minority serving institutions.  Who subsequently mold them into being real doctors and lawyers, etc. 

This is not to say Dr. Dre can’t spend HIS money as he sees fit, I simply find his actions more harmful to the outcomes of African-Americans than Paula Deen’s words.  Dre’s lyrics have consequences that have had a lasting impact on the collective consciousness of millions of young African-Americans and Hispanics and have thus created a culture that finds value in their prison experience, their over sexualized behavior and their out of control drug use. 

Finally, while Paula Deen words may hurt Dre’s actions hurt worse because not only does he call African-American’s the N word, but he also spends his money to make other communities better in the process.

Therefore, no Paula Deen for me and no Beats by Dre for my nephews.

That’s my Truth and I AM sticking to it…

I AM
Dr. Irvin PeDro Cohen


No comments:

Post a Comment