Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Down with Brown


I must admit my naiveté when it comes to what makes a Democrat a Democrat and a Republican a Republican or a liberal a liberal or conservative a conservative. I am sure however, about the collective sighing of relief I sense in the people that I have seen and that I have spoken with since last night. Both Black and White rich and poor, young and old for just a moment since votes are still being tallied breathed a collective sigh reminiscent of 2009.  From the white guy dancing his heart away to the older white lady who went into hear Alvin Brown’s our man chant a collective sigh came across the city of Jacksonville, FL and people both black and white breathed a breath of new life into The Bold New City of the South simply by casting a vote.
 
Now this is not an observation of the collective musing of why Mike Hogan did not win the election (I AM pretty sure he is a nice guy), but it is more of an introspective on the enormous amount of pent up tension there is when it comes down to having to choose between electing an ethnic minority candidate, in particular an African-American male and a white candidate, in particular a white male.   See Barack Obama and John McCain and now Alvin Brown and Mike Hogan and you get what I mean.  What both instances have lead me to believe whole heartily is that young people both black and white have collectively taken major steps to move past race while our forefathers and mothers are still shackled by America’s greatest sin.   What WE collectively whether it be consciously or subconsciously have decided is that past be damn we want progressive people leading our country, states and cities and every time WE decided to get involve the unexpected happens. 

May 17, 2011 represented not only a day when Alvin Brown woke up leading Mike Hogan for Mayor of Jacksonville, FL but it said from the trap in Washington Heights to the halls of William M. Raines to the enclaves in Queen Harbor, to the trailer park on the Westside that times have changed and this is not your momma and daddy’s country, city or state anymore.   Last night said that YES YOU CAN with a little help from your friends, of whom some must be white.  Last night reinforced why Ben America, Brad Ingerham, Benn Dodd, Linda Lanier, Pam Paul, Bridgette Murphy, Reverend Gene and countless others are my friends because I have come to understand that I am just one African-American male from the block who has big dreams and only through stretching my ethnic  boundaries can I achieve any of them. 

For those who read this, this is not a testimonial on the greatness of our newly elected Mayor, because there is much work to be done on his part and only time will tell if he warrants such good measure and judging from the attacks on the current President he will have to be not just good, but GREAT. However, the spirit of accomplishment and the age old idea of breathing symbolizes a collective mind state of we are moving forward. It also recognizes on my part Alvin Brown and May 17, 2011 means to so much to many. I can only imagine what September 22, 1862 meant to my ancestors as it outlawed slavery and the collective sigh former slaves gave off once it was ingested that we were free, because last night at about 11:30ish I heard the same sigh from all parts of town in particular the Northside and Eastside.

I AM Irvin PeDro Cohen and this is My Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment