Wednesday, May 25, 2011

You Can Get with this or You Can Get With That

It has always been said that nothing good comes from discussing politics and religion and over the next two weeks I am going in at both.  Therefore, as the 9th thing in my “What Black Should Do Next” series I offer this as particular pointed advice.

All black people need to realize that ALL Republicans are not your enemies and all Democrats are not your friends.  Both the pimp and the trick start off as your friend.  What I mean by this is despite whom side you are on you cannot forget that both can and will play you.

The older I have gotten the less I understand why black people are so loyal to the Democratic Party.  Now before people go and get all salty on me let me state for the record I did vote and contribute to the campaign of Lil Baby Jesus oh I meant Barrack Obama who is a Democrat and in my local election I have voted for and contributed to the campaign of Alvin Brown who is also a Democrat.  However, in my first real election some time where I had the benefit of research and my own insight I voted for John Delaney who happened to be a Republican who I thought was the better candidate at the time.   See what I would like to think is we should be voting for people and not parties, but then again I may be a little naïve about that.
As a point of information more African-Americans went to prison during the Clinton administration than any other time in the history of our country while the Black middle class all but got sent back to the 1960’s during the Bush years.  Therefore, who really deserves your support?  What I would advocate is that we find places in both camps and hold each side accountable for policies that work for the betterment of our collective communities.

Unfettered loyalty to one party over the other has not cut into the double digit unemployment rate that many African-American communities face and I even would propose is that the loyalty we show to the Democratic party has allowed Republicans to all but take us for granted thereby completely ignoring us.  Matter of fact I would suggest you take a look at several of the decisions that have been made by Governor Rick Scott here in Florida that adversely effect African-American communities and tell me if there was more of us on the other side of the track those same decisions would have been made.

Now in no uncertain terms am I suggesting that anyone change parties, I am merely suggesting we need balance and you don’t get that when the majority of Black people are on one side of the political fence.  What I have come to conclude is that politics and parties are really about economics and if you placate enough to the have nots and the really have nots you can have poor people fighting each other about cause that really don’t serve any of their benefits, but as I said earlier when one side is completely begotten to a party it makes accountability on the other side all but gone.

That being said some races and elections are obvious like Barrack Obama in 2008 and Alvin Brown for Mayor of Jacksonville in 2011.  Vision, vigor and vitality for ALL people should win the day and when they do choices are just that simple such was the case with Barrack Obama and should be the case with Alvin Brown and they both happen to be Democrats.

For anyone, Black people in particular any candidate that supports social programs that support the less fortunate, tax cuts for working people and funding for education deserves your support or at the very least your consideration.  Party be damned sign my name by whoever has the aforementioned things in mind because I know more people Black and White who need those than millionaires who need another tax break.

That’s My Truth and I AM Sticking To It I AM

Irvin PeDro Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment